To the people who think that the Walt Disney Company is going to move out of Florida, I want you to realize just how large the Disney World complex in Central Florida is:
- 25 resort hotels
- 4 theme parks
- 2 full sized water parks
- The Walt Disney World Resort complex encompasses 30,500 acres, making it approximately the same size as San Francisco.
- 25 years ago, it cost over $800 million to build Animal Kingdom, one of the 4 parks
- The Orlando airport has 4 runways, with three of them being over 10,000 feet long.
- The area is served by three interstate highways and two major airports (Tampa and Orlando)
Some of the attractions in the parks, and what they cost to build (adjusted to 2023 dollars)
- (Expedition Everest) cost $150 million and took three years to build
- The Tower of Terror cost $280 million
- Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure — $120 Million
- Test Track $300 million
It’s safe to say that the Disney complex would cost a couple of hundred billion dollars. Explain to me how a company is going to build all of that and its infrastructure. They would have to find vacant land encompassing nearly 50 square miles, near major highways and airports, and with a sufficiently large city in the area that would allow for a large enough labor pool to be able to staff this park. Then they would have to come up with $200 or $300 billion in funding, then wait the five or six years it would take to build this park.