I was having some difficulty at work. My diversity hire of a boss hated me and was making my job hell, so I have been working essentially two jobs by working in my regular department while also working 24 hours a week as overtime in a second department. When I first suggested this plan to my wife back in December, she was skeptical and didn’t believe that I could cut my hours and simultaneously increase my pay.
By working overtime in the second department, I was able to showcase my skills and ability. This is the deal I worked out:
First, the downside:
- I will no longer be eligible for any benefits. No insurance, no 401(k), no paid time off.
- I am no longer guaranteed more than 12 hours per two week pay period.
Here is the plus side:
- I will receive a $3 an hour raise from my current pay
- I have to work a minimum of 1 twelve hour shift every two weeks.
- Any shifts beyond that one, and I will receive a $350 bonus for each shift.
- That is an effective $32.17 per hour increase in pay.
- I still receive a shift differential of 10% for hours worked after 3pm, plus another 10% for working weekends, and 25% for holidays.
What this means is that I will have to get insurance through my wife’s work. I also means more time off and more money in our pocket.
We finalized the deal yesterday, and I went in to tell the (current) boss. My last day working for her is April 2. She told me that the door was always open, then asked if I would be willing to come back and work the occasional day for her. I was nice in return, knowing that I have no intention of ever working for her again.
I should have made this move 6 months ago. We are already making travel plans.