The press calls them a militia group intent on overthrowing the government, claiming that they organized a coup on January 6. The ADL says that they are “a large but loosely organized collection of right-wing anti-government extremists who are part of the militia movement, which believes that the federal government has been coopted by a shadowy conspiracy that is trying to strip American citizens of their rights.” The Southern Poverty Law Center says that the Oathkeepers are “one of the largest radical antigovernment groups in the U.S. today.”
They are none of those things. I wrote about them in 2010, long before they were in the national spotlight. As a patriot and a first responder who has taken the oath multiple times, the basis for the Oathkeepers was one I could support:
- We will NOT obey orders to disarm the American people.
- We will NOT obey orders to conduct warrantless searches of the American people
- We will NOT obey orders to detain American citizens as “unlawful enemy combatants” or to subject them to military tribunal.
- We will NOT obey orders to impose martial law or a “state of emergency” on a state.
- We will NOT obey orders to invade and subjugate any state that asserts its sovereignty.
- We will NOT obey any order to blockade American cities, thus turning them into giant concentration camps.
- We will NOT obey any order to force American citizens into any form of detention camps under any pretext.
- We will NOT obey orders to assist or support the use of any foreign troops on U.S. soil against the American people to “keep the peace” or to “maintain control.”
- We will NOT obey any orders to confiscate the property of the American people, including food and other essential supplies.
- We will NOT obey any orders which infringe on the right of the people to free speech, to peaceably assemble, and to petition their government for a redress of grievances.
So to those on the left: Which of the preceding points do you disagree? What makes those the goals of a right wing terrorist organization?
Therefore · June 27, 2021 at 6:15 am
And they self police. Dick was a member of the oathkeepers. He was accused of sexual assault on his two step is daughters. They stood silent. He was found guilty of being a kiddy didler. They struck him from the group.
Dick is now serving multiple sentences to be served in sequence in the special prison. He will die in prison. Yet I know he was more emotional effected by being kicked out of the oathkeepers then he was at being found guilty.
Most of the groups being maligned in the press about Jan 6 th are good people. In surprised they haven’t started telling us that the VFW and American Legion are extreme right wing groups.
Tom from east Tennessee · June 27, 2021 at 6:19 am
Not doing as Zhou Bi-Den commands is the heartburn lefties have with OathKeepers.
it's just Boris · June 27, 2021 at 6:50 am
It’s a good list; many of thos points have exemplars from the past 20 years. With the exception of the blockading cities one (no example comes immediately to mind post-US Civil War) all of them have happened since the start of the 20th century. (There are days, I admit, when walking off NYfC, LA, Portland, etc, seem like a reasonable measure.)
What’s interesting is that all of these are pledges to not do something, rather than to attempt to do something. It’s kind of hard to organize a governmental overthrow by this approach. Which, I suppose, is the point you were trying to make, DM? (Pre-coffee here.)
joe · June 27, 2021 at 7:36 am
anyone who doesn’t believe what the left or msm spouts is a hate group, racist, anti-gov, etc…
SiG · June 27, 2021 at 12:44 pm
I was a dues-paying member until retirement, when I had to pare back spending. They’re not a hate group, not anti-government, not what the ADL, SPLC or C-BS says.
The rule of thumb continues to be that whatever the SPLC says, the opposite is true.
Divemedic · June 27, 2021 at 12:51 pm
The biggest problem is that they and all of their members now have a target on their backs.
Anonymous · June 27, 2021 at 4:26 pm
Kind of Orwell-ian that a group committed to ONE cause, which is to uphold the Constitution of the Unites States, would be accused of wanting to overthrow the same government.
it's just Boris · June 27, 2021 at 6:16 pm
Not odd at all, if you admit the possibility that the government itself might not be upholding the Constitution.
Comments are closed.