The nice folks over at GunFreeZone posted a link to a video and expressed an opinion on posturing. I invite you to go and check it out. Unfortunately, that opinion is incorrect. JKB makes the claim that the loser of the fight is displaying decorticate posturing. He is wrong.

What you see in the video is decerebrate posturing. In the difference lies a huge change in prognosis. All posturing is a common outcome of severe brain injury. It refers to involuntary and abnormal positioning, and the presence of posturing after TBI suggests a poor prognosis.

Both types of posturing often indicate some extent of damage to the brainstem, which is the part of the brain that controls important functions like breathing. Decerebrate posturing, which is what we see in the video JKB linked to, is caused by damage to deeper brain structures and is much more common than the other type, decorticate posturing. Decorticate posturing is caused by damage to both hemispheres of the cerebral cortex and is rarer than decerebrate posturing, but is generally associated with better survival rates.

Generally, the recovery outlook for individuals with abnormal posturing after brain injury is poor. Even though there are instances where individuals regain consciousness and recover, only 37% of those who display decorticate posturing after a head injury survive. Only about 10% of individuals with decerebrate posturing survive.

In the video JKB links to, the individual displaying this posturing has one thing going for him: Youth. If he is admitted into the hospital within 6 hours of his injury, he is likely to double his chances of survival, even though it is still likely that he will have some permanent disability. So an 80% chance of death, and a 20% chance of permanent disability. All of that from a punch to the head.

Think about that the next time someone says that a concealed carrier should just take “his beating like a man.”

Categories: MedicalSelf Defense


Aesop · February 3, 2023 at 7:24 pm

Concur on the diagnosis.
That’s a murder or manslaughter charge waiting to happen.

Somebody offers a fight, they better weigh if they want to die. This is far from uncommon.

    Divemedic · February 4, 2023 at 8:24 am

    Or if they want to chance “winning” a fight by spending the next 15 years in prison on a manslaughter conviction.
    That’s why I walk away from physical confrontations when I can.

      Michael · February 4, 2023 at 8:38 am

      Walking away is the hardest thing but the correct thing most of the time. Just because the aggressor is using his dick as a thinking device, YOU do not have to.

      Even better following ole Remus’s advice “Stay away from crowds”. I notice almost every time a crowd of Feral’s was involved.

      But, but, but says the keyboard warrior..

      Ask Kyle who is going through another lawsuit for a clear case of self-defense for “Civil Rights Violation” would have been “Hate Crime” if the attacker had been black, about staying out of the target area, armed or not.

      Being Judged by 12 today is a process Designed to DESTROY you publicly as to Deter OTHER Folks from self-defense.

      Prove me wrong, show actual court case results.

The Art of Self-Defense · February 3, 2023 at 8:07 pm

Evildoers who approach on a violence trip have forfeited any right to exist in this plane.
No quarter, no mercy, no sympathy for those who come to do harm.
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by six.

Elrod · February 3, 2023 at 11:35 pm

Thre’s no question beinghit in the head – ny anything or anyone – is Not A Good Thing. And, wth the involvement of “certain actors,” some/many of who are into the Knockout Game, the potential for TBI, in some circumstances, is raised. Given the consequences of TBI there’s absolutely no doubt that any indication of an attempt of a potential head strike constitutes the threat of “death, or severe or disabling injury” whch justifies the prophylactic application of lethal force in self defense.

Other than avoiding violent head contact completely, any tips on minimizing the negative effect? As in, if one sees it coming, other than the usual “duck,quickly” any suggestions ? I doubt there’s any part of the head that, when struck, does not have the potential for severe injury, but, say, turning or angling the head to exchange a broken jaw for a lethal blow would be advantageous.

    Dan D. · February 4, 2023 at 10:34 am

    The medical info I read on this website is gold. Sure beats slogging through another issue of EPM! Thanks to all of you who post these pearls.

chiefjaybob · February 3, 2023 at 11:49 pm

DeCORDicate posturing, we were taught, is where the hands point to or protect the spinal cord. Of course, this is a coincidence that is used as a means to remember the difference. If the hands and arms are “protecting” the core, it is not as serious.

GFZ has posted a couple of fight videos with decerebrate posturing following a punch. Don’t let anybody sell you this bullshit about “the attacker was unarmed.”

Fuck you. A punch can kill.

Mike Austin · February 4, 2023 at 7:40 am

I almost killed a man after he had sucker punched me in the head. I blacked out, and the next thing I was aware of was the guy laying on the ground on his stomach. He was unconscious, and pool of his own blood surrounded his head. I have no idea what happened. The guy survived, but the lesson I took away from this was to never, ever get into a physical confrontation with another man.

That was 50 years ago. Now I always open carry one of my 9mm pistols at all times. I neither want to give nor receive a beating. My pistol insures that I will not have to endure either.

JT · February 5, 2023 at 1:29 pm

Ive watched the video a few times and stopped it periodically,
I cant tell for sure but the short haired guy looks to have something in his hand. Anyone else notice something ?

Comments are closed.