The power went out at about 11:35 last night. The UPS that supports my Internet connection and security cameras died 45 minutes later. I patrolled the house by flashlight and chem light until dawn, then I went outside for a first light check. No damage to the house, but I did lose a tree. I managed to get in a pair of one hour naps. Some idiot caused a bit of excitement at 3 am, just when the winds were gusting to 100 mph, walking up my driveway with a flashlight. He left while I was deciding what to do about it.

Once the winds died down, we set up the generator, and we are currently on generator power. Word is, it will take up to two weeks for power to return. I plan on running the generator only to keep the refrigerator cold enough to protect my cold food. Doing that, I have fuel on hand for three days. After that, I will either need to find fuel, or rob it from my second vehicle.

For now, we are doing pretty well as far as damage and supplies are concerned.

Communications are normal. Phone is up, cell phones are up, Internet is up, and satellite TV is up using a backup cable from the house to the dish. The regular cable will need to be replaced.

Security: We are both armed, and the generator is chained to the car.

So all is well, and we are waiting for the power to return.

Categories: Uncategorized

1 Comment

Anonymous · September 12, 2017 at 2:06 am

Glad to hear it. I hope the estimates are pessimistic and you are back up soon.

I was out for 14 days after Ike in Houston, and the daily routine quickly felt normal…

Fuel the gennie, run it to make breakfast w/ coffee maker and microwave and coleman stove. Cool down the fridge and freezer, charge some batteries, surf a bit to stay up to date. Shut down the gennie, do some cleanup work, figure out dinner, etc.

Start the gennie and run during dinner, OFF with sunset… no point in attracting attention.

we intended to go on like that the whole time, but eventually bought a small window AC unit for my wife's comfort and ended up running the gennie during daylight hours. Every time I left the house I took my empty gas cans and if I found some gas, I refilled them and the truck (I was checking on my business and my renters, as well as friends' homes.) Got thru the 14 days, no problem.

The security situation improved dramatically in 3 days when stores began to open and people were handing out food and water. We had some "window shoppers" driving thru the neighborhood, but a hand on hip and blank stare moved them along while helping neighbors rake the yards.

I'm sure you'll have no issues you can't deal with handily,


Comments are closed.