We all know that the Democrats want a 1,000% tax on assault weapons. This law is very broad and will tax most guns out of existence (pdf warning):
semiautomatic rifles that have the capacity to use a magazine that isn’t a fixed magazine, and any one of the following:
- a pistol grip,
- a forward grip,
- folding, telescoping, or detachable stock.
- a barrel shroud,
- a threaded barrel,
- a “functional grenade launcher.”
Or a semiautomatic rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, except for an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.
any semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to use a magazine that isn’t a fixed magazine, and any one of the following:
- a threaded barrel
- a second pistol grip (these are already NFA weapons. I don’t know what effect this law will have)
- a barrel shroud
- the capacity for inserting the magazine anywhere outside of the pistol grip (such as the CZ Scorpion and other PDWs)
- if it looks like a machine gun
- weighs more than 50 ounces (this is obviously aimed at AR pistols)
- a Stabilizing brace
- a buffer tube (again, aimed at AR pistols)
The tax will also apply to any ammunition magazine, belt, drum, etc. that holds more than 10 rounds of ammo, but specifically excludes fixed tubular .22LR magazines.
Plus a bunch of other stuff. Then it goes on to charge the tax on any of the frames, parts of the firearms covered, and parts of magazines. This is, in effect, a ban most firearms and their parts by taxing them into oblivion. Essentially the same thing that happened with the NFA. The only firearms that seem exempt are bolt, lever action, and rimfire.
Imagine a basic AR-15 that costs $11,000 and using $110 magazines.
Since it is a tax, the Senate doesn’t even have to vote on it. It can be passed through budget reconciliation.