So I decided to continue working on my Skirmish rifle this morning. I completed the machining of the lower that I got from 5d, washed it, dried it, and began to put the parts into the lower. The first step was the magazine catch, and…
It doesn’t fit. The slot in the lower is too small for the catch to fit. I tried a second catch, and that one doesn’t fit, either. So I am assuming that the slot that 5d cut for the magazine catch is out of spec. I emailed them, and we will see what they say.
In other news, here is the parts list so far for this lower:
- 5D tactical 80 percent AR-10 lower
- The buffer tube assembly caught on sale from Righttobear.com $80
- Kyntec 3.25″ Hydraulic Recoil Buffer, $130
- Geiselle SSA two stage trigger, $240
- Stainless Steel Buffer Spring, $29
- Miscellaneous pins, springs, etc., $50
- Due to this recent setback, I am putting in a Geiselle Stainless Steel Magazine catch ($22)
- I still haven’t decided on a stock or pistol grip. I have time.
That brings the cost (so far) for this lower to $691, with nearly half of that ($270) being the trigger and buffer. I want to have this rifle done by the end of September, so I am still on schedule.
DISCLAIMER: I have no relationship with any of the vendors or manufacturers mentioned in this post, other than me being a customer. The prices paid and any discounts I received were those available to the general public.