Like I said earlier today, your rights are there to be sold out, used as bargaining chips so that Republicans can get and hold onto money and power. The Republicans think that your rights and your freedom are nothing more than silly items to be used at the negotiating table. After all, what are you going to do, vote for someone else?
So what are they going to cave on?
- Universal Background checks: This is really a code word for national firearm registration. The ATF has been illegally keeping a record of all firearm sales reported to them. Universal checks will ensure that nearly all legal sales will be recorded for easier confiscation in the future. This will, of course, do nothing to curb criminal trade in firearms. This is the same reason why the ATF and the other alphabets are opposed to homemade firearms.
- Red Flag laws: This will allow the government to take your guns, even if you haven’t committed any crimes.
- Safe Storage Laws: Depending on the wording, you will be required to keep all of your guns locked up. This was already ruled unconstitutional in Heller*, but since when does the Constitution matter?
- Of course, handing out money. Since when did the government ever see a problem without throwing money at it? It isn’t like we have an inflation problem, or anything
- Mental Health Resources: I happen to agree that mental health is the problem, but I think that we all know that whatever the government decides to do will be the wrong thing.
*Heller v DC holding: “Similarly, the requirement that any lawful firearm in the home be disassembled or bound by a trigger lock makes it impossible for citizens to use arms for the core lawful purpose of self-defense and is hence unconstitutional.”