Here we are, 18 months into the Obama Presidency. With one third of his term behind us, lets take a look at the progress he has made on his campaign promises:
1 Close Guantanamo Bay within one year. Status: Broken.
2 Create or save 1 million jobs using $25 billion in Federal Funds. Status: FAIL. He spent a trillion dollars, yet the unemployment rate has risen from 7.7% to 9.5% over the last 18 months.
3 All troops out of Iraq within 16 months. Status: Broken. There are still 133,000 troops in Iraq. (85,000 more than are in Iraq)
4. Create secure borders. Status: Broken. He is actually suing people who are trying to secure the borders. Sure, he promised to send 1200 guardsmen, but that is another broken promise.
5. Reform government spending. Status: FAIL. 18 months into his presidency, he spent as much as all presidents prior to George W Bush combined. GW Bush himself was the former record holder, having run a $4.9 trillion deficit during his 8 years in office. Obama has borrowed $2.6 trillion in 18 months.
6. End torture: Status: Misleading. Using the process of extraordinary rendition, where terrorists are taken to countries where torture is legal, and letting THEM do the torturing on your behalf is dishonest.
7. Require new hires to deny cronyism. Status: DO I REALLY have to point this one out?
8. Deliver weekly fireside chats online Status: Broken. Not a single one has been released in the last 16 months.
9. Toughen hate crime laws Status: Broken, also see the next one:
10. Remove discriminatory obstacles to voting. Status: a twofer with the Black Panther case
11. Lift ban on gays serving openly in the military Status: Broken.
12. Penalize vote fraud. Status: Broken, but the voter fraud was all in his favor, so why should he?
13. End American dependence on foreign oil in ten years Status: with his ban on Gulf oil drilling, I don’t see this happening. We are more dependent on foreign oil than we were 18 months ago.
14 Ban executive employees from taking gifts from lobbyists. BROKEN.
15 But I can promise you this: I will always tell you what I think and where I stand. Need I say more?
16 Post bills online 72 hours before signing them Status: Congress doesn’t even read bills before Obama signs them
17 Increase minimum wage every year Status: Broken
18 Ensure taxes don’t go up for families with incomes lower than $250,000 Status: Broken
19 Cut taxes on the middle class Status: Broken
20 Defend Israel Status: Broken
So for those of you out there who voted for Obama, did you get what you voted for? Are any of the above promises the reason why you voted for him? You can’t blame the Republicans, they don’t have control over Congress.
If not, did you vote for him because of his race? Or because his name wasn’t George Bush? What is different? Are you any better off than you were 18 months ago? If not, think about this: We are being betrayed by BOTH parties. They are willing to cheat us to get more power. It is time for this practice to end. This isn’t about right versus left, or Democrat versus Republican. This is about being left alone to live our lives.