Whenever you don’t give 100% fawning support to cops no matter what they do or say, the cops and their hangers on will accuse you of “hating cops.”
Whenever you don’t run around screaming ACAB and hating on all cops, those who do hate them will accuse you of being a jackboot or a boot licker.
In reality, there is a middle ground. I don’t hate all cops, I hate shitty, cowardly, or crooked cops. Some examples:
- cops who use their positions in order to get away with committing crimes
- cops who take sides and help some criminals break the law while arresting others for the exact same crime
- cops who are cowards, for example- “taking cover” behind soccer moms or hiding when children are being slaughtered just yards away
- cops who abuse their power to bully and harass citizens
- cops who know about other cops behaving like those above, but are either staying silent about it, are actively covering for them or are harassing cops that are brave enough to take a stand. Cops call this “professional courtesy” but most people call it “accessory to a crime” or “witness tampering.”
Each and every one of the above is an example of a “bad cop” and covers about 90% of them. OTOH, that doesn’t mean that I support criminals- quite the opposite. I am opposed to criminals whether or not they wear a uniform and a badge. See, each of the above examples is a crime and if cops want to be “good cops” they can start by policing their own ranks.
To the cop haters who think ACAB and are not needed: There are criminals out there. SOMEONE has to not only catch criminals, but needs to protect the rights of those criminals to due process. If there isn’t such a class of people, you get mob rule, vigilantism, and all of our rights are subject to the lynch mob. In other words, you get social credit scores, along with Twitter and Facebook style justice.
So here is my invitation to people on both sides of the debate: I am inviting one cop supporter and one cop opponent to submit posts for my consideration. I will select one post from each side of the debate for publication on this blog. This is the very first time that I have considered allowing anyone else to write a post for this blog. Explain to me how I am not being fair to your side and how I have it all wrong. Here are the rules:
- Your post must be a minimum of 250 words, maximum of 600 words.
- It cannot contain ads or attempt to sell anything.
- It cannot contain personal attacks against individuals.
- Pay attention to spelling and grammar. If the post is filled with errors, you just look stupid.
- Examples that support your argument look better if you link to your source.
- Your post can’t advocate for committing illegal acts.
- I am the sole judge of what gets published on this blog, but your opinions remain your own, even if you and I disagree. I may suggest edits. If you don’t agree to making those edits, I won’t put words in your mouth. If you refuse those suggested edits, I may decide not to publish your post at all, but I won’t make the edits without your approval.
- All posts submitted remain the property of the LLC that publishes this blog, and that LLC retains all rights to those submissions.
This is your chance to have your say. Prove that I am wrong. If you are cool with those edits, submit your posts by email to divemedic (at) areaocho.com. All submissions are due by Tuesday, September 19 at 11:59 pm. The winners will be picked the following day.